Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm Official

I have been sworn in and am no longer a Peace Corps Trainee. I am now officially a Peace Corps Volunteer! Whoo hoo!

We had a very beautiful ceremony (although long and hot as every function in this country is), where we took the Peace Corps oath to uphold and defend the U.S. constitution and were accepted by the Vanuatu government. All of our host families from the villages came and it was great to see them smiling and cheering for us in the audience. They are all so proud :) Afterward we went to a bar and had a great little post-party. Nancy, Danielle and I had organized some "Most Likely To. . ." that the group voted on and we had some pretty funny ones including: Most Likely to Become Chief, Most Likely to Burn Down a Kastom House, Most Likely to Chase Off a Creeper, Most Likely to Get Bitten by a Mosquito, and some more. It was a great night of laughing, drinking beer, and dancing. Quite an "American" night :)

I have a new address and have updated it on the side of my blog, but here it is again:

MaryCatherine Bradley
Peace Corps Volunteer
P.O. Box 60
Quatamele Women's Group
North Ambae Island
Republic of Vanuatu

If anything is in transit and ends up going to the Peace Corps office, they will forward it on to me, so no worries there.

I am out to my island on Monday morning and won't be back into Vila until Phase II training which will be in mid-February, so this is probably my last post for a while! Letters will definitely be the best way to get ahold of me.

Wish me luck as I venture off into the jungle of North Ambae!

No comments:

Post a Comment